Sunday, December 26, 2010

I Have Been Saved!


That’s right!  After 30+ years of accepting and conforming to the illogical teachings of my inherited faith, I am finally free!  I have truly been saved!
I have abandoned the shackles of Christianity and decided to embrace logic and reason.  My beliefs are no longer based on ignorance, misinformation or superstition.  I no longer feel guilty for seeking out the truth about the world around me.  There’s no longer a need to blindly accept as truth the obvious falsehoods taught by the church.  I will never again feel pressured to engage in silly ritualistic behavior for the sole purpose of demonstrating my devotion to a god that almost certainly doesn’t exist.  I no longer need to consider myself a “sinner” simply because some prehistoric woman made from a man's rib chose to eat an apple off of a tree after being convinced to do so by a talking snake (what’s that all about?).  I no longer feel the need to believe in a magical world where angels and demons fight for the salvation of mankind.  I can chuckle at the thought of “burning in hell” for the rest of eternity because I know that hell is nothing more than a scare tactic invented by early church leaders to elicit belief in the god that they themselves created.  I no longer need to believe in the silly, impossible stories that are told in the Bible…most first-graders are smart enough to realize that the story of Noah’s Ark simply could not have happened.  I no longer have to get up early on Sundays (and miss football) in an effort to “keep the Sabbath holy.”  I’ll no longer need to answer questions about life and the universe with “God did it.”  I can instead give logical explanations that are based on scientific evidence…and if I don’t know the answers, then I can seek them out on my own without feeling “blasphemous.”  I can now take personal responsibility for my actions without believing in the false notion that they are being controlled by “some higher power” (God/Satan).  I now realize that I don’t get a second chance at life…that this is the only one I get and I must do what I can to make it as fulfilling as possible.  I know that I need to be a good person…not because I have an invisible sky-daddy looking over my shoulder 24/7, but because it is the right thing to do (that makes my good character even more genuine!).  I am no longer in blind servitude to the ancient and outdated beliefs and traditions that religion continues to promote...in an age when people should know better.  I'm an Atheist now…and it feels good to be saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment